Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Defying Gravity



Something has changed within me.
Something is not the same.
I'm through with playing by the rules
of someone else's game.
Too late for second-guessing.
Too late to go back to sleep.
Its time to trust my instincts, close my eyes
and leap.

Its time to try defying gravity.
I think I'll try defying gravity.
Kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity
and you won't bring me down.

I'm through accepting limits,
cause someone says they're so.
Some things I cannot change,
but 'til I try I'll never know.
Too long I've been afraid of
losing love I guess I've lost.
Well, if that's love,
it comes at much too high a cost.

So, if you care to find me,
look to the western sky.
As someone told me lately,
everyone deserves the chance to fly.
And if I'm flying solo,
at least I'm flying free.
To those who'd ground me,
take a message back from me.
Tell them how I am defying gravity.
I'm flying high defying gravity,
and soon I'll match them in renown.
And nobody in all of Oz,
no wizard that there is or was
is ever gonna bring me down.

Closely tied to my post from yesterday, are my feelings about this song. I was a little later than most in falling in love with this musical. I discovered it in 2009 when I finally wanted to see what all the buzz was about. I got the soundtrack from the library and took it for a spin. I didn't know very much about the plot (until I wiki'd it after my first listen) so most of the songs didn't make much sense to me. But this one, jumped right out at me. As intended, it is a turning point for the musical placed at the end of Act 1, when Elphaba (a.k.a. The Wicked Witch of the West) is officially labeled "wicked." 

I IMMEDIATELY related to the words of the song. They spoke to me about so many different emotions I felt when I was coming out -- the fear of losing love, the sense of "I'll be damned if you're gonna tell me what I can and can't do," and the overwhelming sense of taking command of your life and, pretty much, a "screw you" to anyone that has a problem with it. LOVE. IT.

I listen to the song a lot and, admittedly, have a few different versions of it on my iPod and I love how it makes me feel every single time I listen to it -- a feeling of liberation, inner-power, independence and bravery that I need to remind myself of every now and then. Listen to it below if you've never heard it, or listen to it again if you have. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment