Sunday, May 22, 2011

Under the Influence

"...to influence a person is to give him one's own soul. He does not think his natural thoughts, or burn with his natural passions. His virtues are not real to him. His sins, if there are such things as sins, are borrowed. He becomes an echo of someone else's music, as actor of a part that has not been written for him."

I was never much of a reader growing up and, even in my high school years, I don't know how I survived English classes with glossing over required reading...if reading them at all. All I can remember about reading, until I was 25 or so, is that I would rather have put out a campfire with my face than pick up a book. Eventually I acquired the taste and, for that, I am thankful. 
While looking at movie previews online some time ago, I saw a clip for a movie called "Dorian Gray." I found the it very interesting and searched to find out whatever else I could. Of course, I found that it was based on a famous literary work (I was clueless, I know). Months before seeing the movie, I read the book - and I fell in love with it. I found it intriguing and, personally, very provocative. 

Taken from The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, this is an excerpt of a conversation between the title character and Lord Henry Wotton. I especially enjoy the irony of the comment, given that the context of the entire conversation is intended to influence Dorian. Taking place in chapter two, the pages surrounding this specific exchange between the two characters is, by far, my favorite part of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment